Nationals Homestand Highlights | Sports & Recreation
From Alexandra Schauffler: You’ve read about it. You’ve heard about it. And now, it’s finally here … Our Park: The Series. It’s time for Washington Nationals fans to take back Our Park during the May 4-6 series vs. the Philadelphia Phillies. It’s our town, it’s our time, it’s our team and it’s OUR PARK.
TUESDAY, MAY 1
· MLB All-Star Balloting: It’s time for fans to cast their ballots and vote to send their favorite Nationals players to the 83rd All-Star Game in Kansas City on July 10. Beginning Tuesday, All-Star balloting stations will be set up throughout Nationals Park and will remain until June 19. Fans can also vote online at mlb.com through June 28.
WEDNESDAY, MAY 2
· $1 Hot Dog Night: Fans can purchase hot dogs for just $1 at participating stands and carts while supplies last.*
THURSDAY, MAY 3
· MLB Network Day and Drawstring Backpack Giveaway: The Nationals will celebrate MLB Network, the ultimate television destination for baseball fans. The day will feature the MLB Network speed pitch inflatable, pregame and in-game entertainment, a “lucky row” giveaway, and the opportunity to win various prizes. In addition, the first 20,000 fans to enter Nationals Park will receive a free drawstring backpack presented by MLB Network. **PLEASE NOTE: Promotional items will ONLY be distributed at Center Field Gates for the remainder of the 2012 season. **
· Operation SHUFLY 50th Anniversary: The Nationals will recognize a special group of veterans who participated in Operation SHUFLY, the first U.S. Marine Corps aviation unit to deploy to Vietnam. This on-field recognition will begin a series of commemorative events to honor the 50th anniversary of Operation SHUFLY.
SATURDAY, MAY 5
· Kids Run the Bases Presented by Under Armour: Kids Run the Bases presented by Under Armour has been rescheduled to take place one day early following Saturday’s Nationals-Phillies game in order to accommodate Sunday’s 8:05 p.m. game time.
SUNDAY, MAY 6
· Washington DC Sports Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony: The six newest members of the Washington DC Sports Hall of Fame will be honored prior to the Nationals series finale against the Phillies at Nationals Park.
This year, the legendary sports club will enshrine celebrated WUSA Sportscaster Glenn Brenner (inducted posthumously); Adrian Dantley, former NBA All-Star and Basketball Hall of Famer; Joe Gallagher, former St. John’s College High School Head Basketball Coach and Athletic Director; Darrell Green, former Washington Redskins Cornerback and Pro Football Hall of Famer; Sports Journalism Pioneer Sam Lacy, (inducted posthumously); and Bessie Stockard, former University of the District of Columbia Head Women’s Basketball and Volleyball Coach.
The honorees were selected based on their outstanding contributions to the world of sports, thereby bringing honor and recognition to the Nation’s Capital while furthering the high standards of athletics in the Washington, DC community.